ADSENSE

Monday, December 21, 2015

THE CLASSIC CHURCH

THE CLASSIC CHURCH, FEW YEARS TO COME?
 
            This is the 21st century and things are already taking new looks. More so, I have discovered that the place where you can find the highest number of people coming together for a common goal and purpose, though different, is the church. However, the spirit of this century is already in the church and I think that if we are not careful, this is how the church will turn out to be in few years to come. Come with me.
MODERATOR 1: We shall be commencing the service this morning by singing from our hymn book as we take HGSB 333 (GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS) and thereafter we shall move on to the Sunday school which shall be anchored by our assistant resident pastor, CLINT THE DRUNK, then after that, we are going into the period of the dance of praise which shall be anchored by our choir director, DON JAZZY. Stay tuned as the assistant moderator comes up to give us more announcements.
MODERATOR 2: Thank you, my oga. The first announcement here goes to every I-phone users in the auditorium that if you are not here with your phone chargers, you can honourably stand and approach our ushers. They have many chargers with them, so you can get yours and make sure you return them after the service. Thanks. The second announcement goes to every blackberry phone users in the auditorium, if you are there and you are not also with your phone chargers, try and copy the I-phone users, but in your own case, we only have USB cords, you can get them and plug them into any hole you see, whether on the wall, in a cup of water, just anywhere so that you can charge your phones. Finally, every android phone users; make sure you stay where you are charging your phones because you can’t trust everybody and also make sure your phone is fully charged because we don’t know when NEPA will restore light after two weeks of blackout. Thanks. Please, let’s stay tuned for the chief moderator.
MODERATOR 1: The next item therefore will be the sermon which shall be anchored by our resident pastor, BASKETMOUTH. Please, let us not forget that everything that happened here today will be on our church blog, Instagram page, BBM group, facebook page and group, 2go room, twitter handle, whatsapp group and our church website. Thank you all for your patience as the sermon will last for 20 minutes.





Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Burkina Faso elect new President


After nearly three decades of autocratic rule followed by a civil uprising, Burkina Faso has a new leader.
Roch Marc Christian Kabore won more than 53% of votes in Sunday's elections, according to an official tally. The results mean Kabore, a former Prime Minister of the West African nation, will become its next President.
His closest opponent, Zephirin Diabre, conceded defeatafter winning less than 30% of votes.
What comes next for Burkina Faso?
What comes next for Burkina Faso? 02:12
The road to this week's vote has been bumpy. Just two months ago, a military plot tried to derail the election. Now experts say this looks to be the most democratic polling in the country's history.
The people have themselves to thank for that, said Chris Fomunyoh from the Washington-based National Democratic Institute, which is overseeing election observers.
    Ever since a citizen uprising overthrew President Blaise Compaore a year ago -- after he ruled over the country for 27 years -- civil society has done a lot of work to assure the quality of this election.
    "They feel a sense of ownership," said Fomunyoh, who is overseeing some 6,000 election observers, all local citizens who have trained up for the task.

    'Very free, very fair'

    They are telling him good things about what they are seeing.
    "So far, all the reports that we've received point to voting being very free, very fair and very orderly."
    The turnout has been high, Fomunyoh said, a stark contrast to past elections that people felt were fixed. "In the past they didn't come out to vote, because the incumbent always won," he said.
    CNN Map
    Burkina Faso, in West Africa, was once called the Republic of Upper Volta

    This time, things were different.
    The elections were conducted by a transitional government that did not run for office itself. It purposely put no incumbent into the race and left the field wide open to other candidates, Fomunyoh said. "People felt that every candidate had a good shot at winning."
    Fourteen candidates ran for President, with Kabore and Diabre seen as the two with the most promising chances.

    Recent military plot

    Sunday was not the original election date. Just before the original date rolled around in September,military forces loyal to Compaore made a last stand, knocking it off course.
    They rounded up the transitional President and Prime Minister and replaced them with one of Compaore's former generals.
    But people took to the streets again, and the military as a whole was unwilling to support the attempted plot.
    Burkina Faso army troops stand guard in September after army troops entered the capital Ouagadougou without resistance and began negotiating the surrender of coup leaders.
    "For once I am relieved to have witnessed a boring election on the African continent," Fomunyoh said.
    "The people of Burkina Faso deserve a lot of praise and credit for working so hard to protect their elections and democracy."
    CULLED FROM CNN 

    UNIUYO Inaugurates New Vice-Chancellor


    Image result for uniuyo

    The staff, students and invited guests of the University of Uyo are currently assembled at the Permanent Site of the University in Nwanibia Road to inaugurate the incoming Vice-Chancellor and bid farewell to the outgoing one. 

    The out going Vice-Chancellor is Prof. Mrs. Comfort Ekpo who has been at the helms for power since 2010. She is the first female Vice-Chancellor of the institution. Today, she is handing over to Prof. Enefiok Essien who was the erstwhile Dean of the Faculty of Law in the same institution. 

    Prof. Essien is in the Department of Commercial and Property Law. The new VC went through the due process as enshrined in the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1993 and the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment ) Act 2003. 

    According to the Pro-Chancellor/Chairman, Governing Council of the institution, Prof. Kimse Okoko during a press conference in Uyo recently explained that at the commencement of the exercise on April 28, 2015, 19 applicants had indicated interest, adding that a shortlist of 11 applicants were cleared for the contest, but three scaled the hurdle at the selection interview jointly administered by the Senate and the Council of the institution.

    After the test, Essien came top, having scored the highest number of votes to beat Prof. Ben Oghojiafor and Prof. Okon Ansa, respectively. The Council Chairman noted that throughout the whole period that the exercise lasted “the Selection Board did not receive any petitions from anybody or group against Prof. Essien”, adding that the only petition received against Prof. Ansa, was treated and thrashed out by the Board during interaction session.

    The inauguration event is scheduled to end with the valedictory session organised for the outgoing Vice-Chancellor at the Onyeama Ogochukwu Hall of the University's town campus. 
    - See more at: http://myschool.com.ng/uniuyo/news/42321/uniuyo-inaugurates-new-vice-chancellor.html#sthash.kd7xkdG7.dpuf

    FIFA withdraws Nwakali’s award, gives Chukwueze


    Image result for fifa u17

    World football governing body, FIFA, has admitted its error in handing Nigeria captain Kelechi Nwakali the bronze boot of the last FIFA U-17 World Cup finals held in Chile. The Zurich-based body has instead given the award to another Golden Eaglets midfielder, Samuel Chukwueze, after apologising for the mistake.
    FIFA admitted the error in a letter sent to the Nigeria Football Federation General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, on Wednesday. In the letter signed by the Director of the Football Division, Mustapha Fahmy, the world body wrote, “We made a mistake at the closing ceremony of the FIFA U-17 World Cup Chile 2015 with the distribution of the Adidas Bronze Boot.
    “Instead of player no. 8 of Nigeria, Samuel Chukwueze, the player Kelechi Nwakali (player no.10 of Nigeria) received the Adidas Bronze Boot. However, if two or more players are still equal (after goals and assists), the player who has played fewer number of minutes will be ranked first.
    “With this in mind, Adidas will send you another Bronze Boot in December 2015, which we would kindly ask you to hand over to Samuel Chukwueze. Please be informed that Kelechi Nwakali may keep his trophy.”
    Victor Osimhen scored 10 goals and made two assists to win the Golden Boot; Johannes Eggestein of Germany scored four goals to win the Silver Boot. Nwakali, who was voted Most Valuable Player of the Tournament and earned the Golden Ball, tied with compatriot Chukwueze for third place with three goals and three assists.
    However, Nwakali played more minutes (630 minutes) as against Chukwueze’s 535 minutes.

    Messi: Suarez deserved Ballon d'Or nomination


    Messi: Suarez deserved Ballon d'Or nomination

    The Barca player was disappointed his team-mate didn't join him and Neymar among the three finalists for the Fifa prize
    Lionel Messi believes Barcelona team-mate Luis Suarez deserved to be named among the finalists for this year’s Ballon d’Or.

    The Argentina international was named as one of the three players up for the prestigious individual prize on Monday, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar the other two.

    That meant there was no room for Suarez, the third member of Barca’s three-man attack.

    Between them, they have scored 125 goals in 2015 so far, with the Uruguayan contributing 40 of them - including several important strikes as Barca clinched the treble last season.



    GOAL READ MORE  | Messi beats Ronaldo to La Liga best player award  
    “I’d have liked to be on Ballon d'Or podium with Ney and Luis,” Messi said at the La Liga awards ceremony on Monday night where he was named as the league’s best player for the 2014-15 campaign.

    “Luis deserved it because of the season he had. You have to credit Cristiano as well, who also deserved it. We'll have a good time [at the Fifa gala].”

    In addition to his best player award, Messi also scooped the award for best forward in Spain’s top flight last season. Accepting his trophies, he said: “I’d like to dedicate this award to my son, Thiago.

    “When I leave home, he always gets mad and says: ‘Are you going to the goal again?’ Yes, I tell him, I’m going to the goal!

    “I am grateful for these awards - after the season the team played, we deserved some recognition, maybe even a little more…”

    Neymar, who was named La Liga’s best American player for the last season, also added his disappointment at seeing Suarez miss out on the final three for the Ballon d’Or.



    “Being nominated for the Ballon d'Or means a lot,” the Brazilian said.

    “Suarez should have been there as well, though - but Messi is the favourite, he's the number one for me.”

    Former Liverpool forward Suarez responded with grace as he watched his two strike partners pocket awards and nominations throughout the day on Monday.